Dr. Jon Dunn, 
Licensed Naturopathic Doctor

Naturopathic Health Care, Inc.

Natural Health Newsletter
Tumeric:  Anti-inflammatory Super Spice 
MARCH, 2013 
Curcumin is the main therapeutic ingredient in turmeric.  Studies show curcumin to be a potent anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antibacterial and anticancer agent.  Curcumin kills cancer cells, and inhibits cancer proliferation and metastasis. Curcumin has over 75 anti-cancer fighting properties, more than any synthetic drug ever dreamed of having.  Curcumin will sensitize cancer cells to be more susceptible to chemotherapy and radiation while protecting healthy cells.   
The primary role of curcumin is to stop inflammation.  This is done via inhibition of Nuclear Factor Kappa B (NF-kB).  Inhibition of NF-kB is the key to controlling the runaway inflammation of chronic disease.  NF-kB is a protein found in every cell of the body.  Chronic stress leads to over simulation of NF-kB, triggering uncontrolled inflammation, obesity and genetic malfunction throughout the body.  NFkB activation promotes viral growth, tumor growth and tumor metastasis.  

Incorporating turmeric into the diet is easy. Turmeric can be added as a flavor enhancer before or after cooking.  It can be added to a glass of coconut milk; coconut milk oils aide absorption.  It is sold as a supplement, and at appropriate dose is without side effects.  Green tea, quercetin, resveratrol and black pepper will enhance the effectiveness of turmeric.  

Turmeric is a strong yellow dye, so be careful not to spill it.  In Ayurvedic medicine turmeric is described in many ways, roughly translated to mean: exhibits golden light, auspicious, plenty, killer of worms, which cures fever, known as night, holy, as beautiful as moonlight, gracious, who remains free from desires, and killer of poison.

In Conclusion 
Most pharmaceutical medicines are synthetic derivatives of nutrients found in food and herbs such as turmeric. Pharmaceutical anti-inflammatory medicines including steroids and statins all have potential side effects and can be very expensive, unlike turmeric.  Genetics account for only 5-10% of cancers, while environment and lifestyle habits account for the other 90%.  In growing recognition of  the truth that ‘food is our best medicine’, human research studies are currently under way using anti-inflammatory medical diets to address both prevention and treatment of cancer.  These diets are being evaluated as standalone interventions and in conjunction with conventional therapies.  Results to date are very promising.  

A well balanced organic diet is the most important anti-inflammatory method known for the prevention of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, irritable bowel disease, skin disorders, arthritis, neurodegenerative ailments such as Alzheimer’s and other chronic ailments.  Unhealthy diets promote inflammation, and inflammation is the cause of chronic disease.  Unhealthy diets easily top the list of risk factors for cancer, the most unwanted inflammatory ailment of all.  

For further reading please consider:
Healing Spices  by Bharat Aggarwal
Molecular Targets and Therapeutic Uses of Spices by Bharat Aggarwal
Cancer as a Metabolic Disease: On the Origin, Management, and Prevention of Cancer by
Thomas Seyfried 

As always, I hope you have enjoyed this month’s newsletter.  Comments and feedback are welcome.


In Health,
Jon Dunn, ND
Spices offer excellent anti-inflammatory aide.  Countries in which spices are consumed on a regular basis have a lower incidence of cancer.  Of all the spices, turmeric offers the most medicinal benefit.